Monday, July 11, 2011

When did my husband and I become such softies?

My husband put off giving a dog to the kids for over 6 years. When we married, I agreed to a dog as long as it would live outside. Two years ago we got his choice of a dog-1/2 German Shepherd, 1/2 Belgian Malinois. Broki was so little that I was afraid the hawks would carry her away and let her stay inside until she was big enough. At 70 pounds, she still "isn't big enough." Now she has her own room-the sunroom built from a screen porch. Lately, she has been sharing it though.
Enter Duchy (Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge), a little Border Collie mix of some sort who I found lying beside our trash cans. She was mangy, flea-bitten, and a sorry sight. We took her in, much to Kyle's chagrin, and nursed her to health with the help of my vet tech sister and our wonderful vet. Hubby told us not to name her, but that was after we had already named her. Oops.  A few days later, the kids and I hear him sneaking down stairs to the garage to visit our little rescue pup. Hmmm. When I confronted him, in a loving way, he said he knew we would end up keeping her so he might as well be friendly.
We waited until Duchy's mange was gone to acquaint big girl Broki with little girl Duchy. At 20 pounds, Duchy is no pushover, though Broki does enjoy teaching her who really runs the house. So unless someone really special comes along to take Duchy, I am afraid she is here to stay. Now I understand my sister's strict questionnaires for people wanting to adopt her rescue pups.
I despise animal hair/smells in my house. Yet, I allow these dogs to invade. What is wrong with me?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the animal hair & smells. I also said we would never have an inside dog. Well we now have an 8 month old, 65 pound German Shepherd puppy inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same thing that is wrong with all of us who just can't bear to see an abused animal. We too took in a rescue puppy, after saying we wouldn't have another dog. I think you know the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment after reading my blogpost. What did you think? Agree or disagree? Any suggestions?